- 125g margarine
- grated rind of 1 orange
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125g almond meal
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (optional)
- 1 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- ½ cup So Good Soy Milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
- Place margarine, rind and sugar in a bowl and mix until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.
- Stir through almond meal and poppy seeds. Stir in ½ the flour with ¼ cup of So Good, then add the remaining flour and So Good.
- Spread mixture into a greased and lined 20cm round tin. Bake in a moderate oven, 180°C, for 40 minutes.
- Combine syrup ingredients in a saucepan. Stir over low-heat until sugar is dissolved, then increase heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove cake from oven; insert a few holes in the cake with skewer. Pour hot syrup over hot cake. Cool cake in tin.
- Substitute other varieties of citrus fruit, such as lemons or limes, if you don't have oranges.
- Make your own caster sugar, by placing raw sugar into a food processor and pulse until the sugar granules become finer.
- Create a lactose/dairy free dessert by choosing a dairy free margarine.
- Serve with your favourite yoghurt or créme fraiche.